Address: Espl. De la Paix, 14032 Caen, France
University of Caen Lower Normandy is a university in Caen, France that was established in 1432. The former name of this university is University of Caen. The founder of this university is John of Lancaster. First Duke of Bedford, the first rector being a Cornishman, Michael Tregury, afterwards Archbishop of Dublin. Firstly, it was consisted of a faculty of Canon law and a faculty of Law. It already had five faculties in 1438. In 1452, this university’s foundation was confirmed by the King of France Charles VII the Victorious.
University of Caen Lower Normandy was ever destroyed by aerial bombing during the battle for Caen on July 7, 1944. Then this university was reconstructed in 1948, the new university was inaugurated on June 1 and 2, 1957. The revival symbol was delivered by its logo, the mythical Phoenix. There are some notable alumni from this University such as isambard Kingdom Brunei, Guillaume-Francois Rouelle, Urbain Le Verrier, Caspar Barlaeus, and many others.