Address: 351 Cours de la Liberation, 33400 Talence, France
The original of University of Bordeaux was founded and established by the papal bull of Pope Eugene IV on 7 June 1441 when Bordeaux was an English town. The initiative for this creation is attributed to Archbishop PeyBerland. This current name was created in January 1, 2014 from the merger of former universities Bordeaux 1, Victor Segalen University for Bordeaux 2, and Montesquieu University for Bordeaux 4. This University is the part of the Community of universities and higher education institutions of Aquitaine. In 1970, this university was split into three universities: Bordeaux 1, Bordeaux 2, and Bordeaux 3 and Bordeaux 4 split off from Bordeaux 1 in 1995.
University of Bordeaux was originally composed of four faculties such as medicine, law, arts, and theology. The law faculty changed into faculties of civil law and canon law. A professorship in mathematics was founded in 1591 by Bishop Francois de Foix, he is the son of Gaston de Foix, Earl of Kendal.